The First Pages Prize is now closed… but here’s all the important information regarding rules and conditions
The First Pages Prize is designed to recognize and support the work-in-progress of unagented writers and offers prize packages to help one winner and four runners-up develop and finish their fiction, creative non-fiction or poetry manuscript. The Prize is sponsored by The de Groot Foundation in partnership with the Stockholm Writers Festival (SWF). Thank you to all entrants, we will be in touch by email with judging news for First Pages Prize!
The Prize Packages
1st prize is $700 USD, a developmental edit of the first 25 pages of the submittted manuscript, exposure and publicity as winner, the first few paragraphs read during SWF18, and a meeting with agents/editors during SWF18*
2nd prize is $400 USD, a developmental edit of the first 10 pages of the submitted manuscript, exposure and publicity as finalist, and a meeting with agents/editors during SWF18*
3rd prize is $200 USD, a developmental edit of the first 5 pages of the submitted manuscript, exposure and publicity as finalist, and a meeting with agents/editors during SWF18*
4th prize is $200 USD, a developmental edit of the first 5 pages of the submitted manuscript, exposure and publicity as finalist, and a meeting with agents/editors during SWF18*
5th prize is $200 USD, a developmental edit of the first 5 pages of the submitted manuscript, exposure and publicity as finalist, and a meeting with agents/editors during SWF18*
*the agent/editor meeting is available only to those winners/runners-up also attending the Stockholm Writers Festival 2018
Closing Date — now CLOSED!
March 13, 2018 (11:59 p.m. UTC+1).
The winning entries will be announced April 13, 2018 at SWF18. We will notify the winners around April 1, 2018. The developmental edit will be delivered within two months’ of SWF18 and the agent/editor meeting will be held on April 14, 2018 during SWF18.
Adnan became a refugee of war in 1993 and wound up in Sweden. He has a doctorate degree in English literature and master of fine arts degree in creative writing. He is a lecturer and writer-in-residence at the Department of English, Stockholm University. His stories have dealt with contemporary European history and the issues of identity and home for Bosnian refugees. His works include Thinner Than a Hair (novel), How to Fare Well and Stay Fair (short stories), and Ways of Being Free (literary criticism). In 2017, Adnan was one of the judges of the Neustadt International Prize for Literature.
Guidelines and Competition Rules
- Each entry as an SWF18 attendee must be by a registered participant.
- Each entry submitted by a non-attendee of SWF18 must have paid the submission fee by PayPal or Swish.
- Entries may be from any UNAGENTED writer living anywhere in the world, whether previously published or unpublished.
- You may enter more than one submission, but attendees of SWF18 can enter for free only for the first entry, and must pay the submission fee for each subsequent entry.
- Entries should be typed, double-spaced in 12-point font and the first pages of a longer manuscript.
- Entries must not exceed the first five (5) pages or 1,250 words of a fiction, creative non-fiction or poetry manuscript, excluding the title(s).
- Entries must be unpublished, original work in English.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age.
- The entrant’s name MUST NOT appear anywhere on your manuscript to ensure judging anonymity. Failure to follow this rule results in disqualification.
- Entries from members of the Stockholm Writers Festival board, faculty, or any person assisting in the judging process, will not be accepted.
- The judging is final and individual feedback on entries cannot be given.
- No entry will be returned or kept after the winners have been announced.
- No alteration to any submission may be made once it has been submitted.
- Copyright remains with the author.
- If your entry wins another writing competition you must withdraw from the First Pages Prize by emailing us at email@example.com and your submission fee will be refunded unless you enter a different submission (before the Closing Date).
- If you pay the submission fee as a non-attendee of SWF, and subsequently register to attend SWF, you must email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so your submission fee can be refunded.
- No refunds are possible for entries that do not comply with these rules.
- Cash awards will be paid within 45 days of the Stockholm Writers Festival 2018 either by US check or PayPal.
- The developmental edit and agent/editor meeting is not transferable or redeemable for any cash equivalent.
- The final date for receipt of entries is March 13 2018 (11:59pm UTC+1).
- By entering, you accept that your email address is added to the mailing list of Stockholm Writers Festival.
- The judging panel reserves the right not to award a prize for a place-getter in the event the prize does not attract sufficient entries.